Access NI Certificates. Here's why you need one and how to get one.
Find Extras Become an Extra Our Team News FAQ Member Login

Inside The Extras Dept.

Access NI Certificates. Here's why you need one and how to get one.

20 February 2021

Interested in boosting your profile, here's a quick fire way to do it.

To work on any BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 & Sky productions that involve children all Extras must have a valid Basic / Standard / Enhanced Disclosure Certificates in place.  These guidelines were drawn up by PACT along with the broadcasters back in 2016.

Whilst you can most certainly be a member of The Extras Dept without holding a certificate, you will be excluded from casting choices for the productions made for these channels.  Everyone aged 16 and over is required to have a valid certificate.

How to apply:

Currently Access NI is the official UK body authorized to provide basic disclosure certificates in Northern Ireland.  When applying you need to apply for a Basic Certificate as an Individual.

How much does it cost? What information do I have to provide? How long will it take?:

Through Access NI the current cost of the certificate is £18. You will be asked to provide 3 forms of identification to confirm your name, date of birth and current address. For example: passport, driving licence, utility bill rental agreement, and mortgage or bank statement. You will also be asked to provide address details for the last 5 years.

How often do I need to provide a new cert?

A new certificate will need to be provided every 18 months. However, if within that period you are convicted of an offence under the Sexual Offences Act 2003 you must inform The Extras Dept. immediately.

What do I do with my certificate once I receive it?

Once you have received your certificate you can login to your profile and upload a copy, you will also be asked to enter the issue date so we can monitor the expiry.  Should you have any difficulty doing this you can also email it to us and we can upload it for you.

Already have a Basic / Standard / Enhanced Certificate?

Great, as long as it has been issued within the last 18 months we can accept it.

If you do have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us as we will be happy to help!